Audit Services is the administrative unit tasked with performing internal audit functions for New Mexico State University. It provides system-wide, independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve university operations. It helps the university accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
Audit Services assists members of management in effectively carrying out their respective responsibilities by determining whether the organization’s network of risk management, control and governance processes are adequate to ensure that:
- Risks are appropriately identified and managed;
- University policies and procedures, and external laws and regulations are followed;
- Resources are acquired economically, used efficiently, and are adequately protected;
- Significant financial, managerial and operational information is accurate and reliable;
- Program objectives are achieved and are consistent with University objectives.
In order to maintain organizational independence and foster objectivity, the staff of the Office of Audit Services report to the chief audit executive (CAE), who reports administratively to the Chancellor and functionally to the Board of Regents.